About

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1 Year & a Giveaway!

A New York City Life blog is celebrating a year!! It's been one year! Can I believe it? Actually what I can't believe is how I lived my life before this blog... but maybe it just wasn't as interesting as it has been this last year! Before I go on rambling about the past year, I want to invite you to participate in my GIVEAWAY!

It's easy. Click on comments below. Tell me which photo from these you'd love to have for a print (click on the photo above for a closer look at the choices!). If I pick your name from a drawing, you'll win the print of your choice!!!! And who knows, I may get excited and do more than one drawing! Please only one comment per person... You have until Wednesday, June 24th!

Everyone is invited to participate... Family, Friends, Blog friends, New arrivals, anyone! If you have a blog, make sure to share it in the comments... and if not, make sure to check back for the announcement of the winners so you can claim your prize if your the lucky name drawn out of the hat!

So now that I have the fun news about the giveaway out there, I'll go one with my reflection of the last year. It has been a big one for me... My first post, here, was about a trip I took to the Brooklyn Bridge and a visit to the telescope with London that was temporarily visiting. Not long after the first post, I was off to Kansas to marry Seth (the lovely face in my banner...) and after that traveled to Colorado for a honeymoon trip with my new family.

After our Colorado adventure, Seth and I were back in New York, moving into our new TINY apartment, settling in as husband and wife. I spent the summer months exploring the city, loving the Long vacation I felt like I was on. I've enjoyed becoming a New Yorker, and now looking back over the posts, some things that were so new and exciting have somehow changed to normal, everyday events that I don't even think twice about on most days. I've learned a few things about New Yorkers... and although it used to shock and surprise me, I don't much get surprised anymore...

But the one thing I love most about being in New York is the way I've been inspired. Everywhere I look, something wonderful, creative, beautiful is happening, and despite what may look ugly at first, there is something more when you look deeper. Photography has become a major part of my creative time, especially street photography.

The spring here was one of the best in my life. I couldn't help but love the way I felt when I found this bud, the first sign of life in spring way back in the depths of February. And even when spring was hard to find, there were still green places to go, despite the snow, the cold, the rain. The beauty of nature in the cement city I live in blew me away.

As a former farm girl, I have quickly fallen in love with my cement fields, the city parks, and the lights that make it so the city never really does quite sleep. I haven't really driven a car in a year, and I have to say I am quite proud of this fact. I can almost always swipe my metro card through the turnstile without an issue, and I'm not terrified and unsure of how to ride a public bus (so weird to think of how nervous I would get when I first started work and had to travel daily on the bus from the subway to work.) I'm a little bit harder, which probably isn't that hard considering how soft I was coming from the Midwest. And I've learned a lot from this city... I'm no longer feeling so clueless and small in this huge city of mine.

We've been so lucky to spend the year making new friends. What an experience for someone like me, who has always been a bit scared to meet new people. I knew I just had to step up, and even if I'm still a little rough around the edges, I've met plenty of new people... I've made friends and experienced things I would never have experienced in Kansas. We've had great times playing and laughing with friends... and now, I'm not sure what we would do without these wonderful people in our lives!

Of course, we can't forget our nephew... Our favorite little New Yorker! P and his mama have taken me on some fun adventures around the city, entertaining me many times on my days off. We've all gotten together on weekends to explore and love our city. And even to enjoy the beach a few times.

As you can see, I can only begin to share the fun we've had this past year... You're welcome to explore more by clicking through the past posts of the events and thoughts of our lives. Here's to more blog years to come, and to more years filled with adventure, laughter, love, and fullness.

DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENT FOR A CHANCE IN THE DRAWING!

30 comments:

Mrs. E said...

What a year you've had! I'm so glad I've had a chance to follow it all--living vicariously through you, you know?!! Happy Blog Anniversary!
Now, let me say--I can't choose just one pic! (Go ahead. Make it impossible to choose.) These are my three top--though even getting to three was difficult: the beach, the calm, or the NYC shot.

Seth said...

MORNING ON THE BEACH!!!!!!!! Thats my favorite. Although, I am not sure the hubby can vote :/

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Seth: Morning on the Beach is awesome. I have never been to the North East beaches where I suspect this was taken, but it reminds me of some of the wonderful southern beaches I have visited.
I just discovered your blog. You do beautiful work. And as another farm girl, I applaud your bravery and the wonderful adventures you have had in the past year. Congratulations.

ELK said...

what a magical year on a sweet journey! congratulations ...so many blogs began in June last year!

...now my favorite ...tho I love them ALL! is "morning on the beach" because I think that house is meant to be mine for real!

WarriorHeartGypsySoul said...

I would choose the NYC pic, the last one.

Congratulations on your one year bloggy anniversary!

Sounds like you've had quite an amazing year, thanks for sharing it with us!

abby said...

I have enjoyed your blog for the last few months. I have always wanted to visit New York and I enjoy seeing it through your eyes. Congratulations! It is hard to choose but I too like the "morning on the beach."

Maisy said...

Morning at the Beach...I so want to be there!

georgia b. said...

congrats!!! your blog is one of my faves and i'm so glad i found it!

wow, how hard is it to choose amongst these photos. you know how much i love the tulip—it was the one i suggested for the give-away.

but i'm gonna have to go with the black and white of the new york sky line. it is so cool and would look best hanging in my place.

but i love them all!!

happy bloggiversary. :)

lizw said...

Such an exciting time in your life! So nice that you have it all recorded in the blog :) I love all the photographs, but if I must choose one, it's morning on the beach. A lovely giveaway!

GailO said...

You have had an incredibly busy year!...I have loved your photos since I started reading your blog and I think they are getting better and better...I can tell by looking at them that you love doing it and you love the place you are in:)...I would be honored to own any one of your pics...

erin said...

happy blogiversary!
i don't even remember what i used the 'net for before i was reading blogs and then created my own. crazy stuff. ;-p

i loooove. love love. 'morning on the beach'

xo

Puna said...

Congratulations! I love love the beach one.

Jac said...

Ali, your post gave me Goosebumps! Loved,loved,loved it, girl!

As for the vote - they're all Gorgeous! As decisions are soooo not my forte (I Totally got your shoe story!) I'm split between the beach and the magnolia flare. I'll go beach, since I wasn't there ;)

Hope today went well!!!
xo,
j

C.M. Jackson said...

they are all great--my vote goes to the Brooklyn Bridge in honor of your arrival and 1 year anniversary--Congrats-c

margie said...

handsdown the new york city print. although i love a beach but new york. special.

Marie said...

Love all your photos! The magnola is my favorite -- it has a very "Virgin Suicides" feeling to it.

carmela said...

Congrats for this first year!! I really love your blog and the way your share with us your NY life.

It's difficult to choose only one because your pics are all fantastic, but I think that I will go for "Brownstone tulip". It's beautiful!

Brandi said...

I love the beach photo, it just looks so peaceful and calming there.

Katie said...

Six gorgeous choices...though I think the Brownstone Tulip is my favorite. What a wonderful year. Thanks for sharing with us!

meg* said...

so crazy you've been doing this for a year..and what a fabulous idea it was! i've enjoyed keeping up with you through this blog and getting to know all the fun things you do! sometimes we're not the best at picking up the phone so thank goodness for the online world...this blog and all the photos makes me wanna come visit you even more! :) miss you girl....

meg* said...

oh yeah and it friends get to choose a photo..i'd say morning on the beach or nyc..

A said...

of course friends get to choose meg!!!

Heather said...

I love the beach photo the mostest. I still can't believe you've only been in the city a year. Here's to another amazing one ahead!

Anonymous said...

Lovely sentiments and success on your one year celebration of your blogoversary. I'm inspired by you to start my own blog and start the birthing of my own photography career. Best wishes,

Trish
patriciadolan@comcast.net

Kate said...

I have loved reading your blog this year...I am envious of all of the adventures you have had. Thank you for sharing them with a Kansas Girl!
I think your photography is gorgeous but I would choose...the beach or the magnolia.
Happy Blogging and enjoy your last week of school!

Dana said...

Ali!

I love! love! love! all your pictures and enjoy reading all your blog entries. We sure miss you guys but are always excited by a short phone call or message. Congrats on one year and can't wait to hear about your future adventures!

My favs: Morning on the beach or magnolia flare??? Tough decision!

littlebyrd said...

I am so excited to have been introduced to your blog ~ it is really wonderful!! Happy one year to you. If I were to win I would choose the B&W NYC shot. It is divine!

Jessi said...

Hey Alicia! I've been following your blog a bit after seeing it on Facebook. Awesome photos! I'd have to go with the Morning on the Beach. It is so calm and simply beautiful!

Ian said...

i'm with seth on this one, even though i decided before clicking through and seeing his comment: morning on the beach. such a great photograph! :)

Mel H. said...

You are so talented. My vote is for brownstone tulip! Miss you friend!