Last Friday afternoon, I headed towards Brooklyn Heights to scoot down the Brooklyn Promenade. On my way to the Brooklyn Bridge I decided to find the deck that we always see people on just south of the bridge. There, I found a huge telescope "coming out" of the deck. We had heard about this telescope from some friends - they had gone and seen it. When looking in the telescope there was a digital image of people in London who were looking through a telescope similar to the one on the New York City side. Kind of a crazy connection across the Atlantic Ocean... The viewing was pretty casual, but our friends explained how people were using dry erase boards to show messages for the other side. One in particular, a girl wrote "Dance" on the board, and the people in London danced for them! :) The telescope was only visiting for a couple weeks and was removed on Sunday evening. I asked if they planned for put it in a new location to connect two other places in the world. The guy working said there were no plans as of yet, but the telescopes would probably pop up somewhere.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Telescope from New York City to London
Last Friday afternoon, I headed towards Brooklyn Heights to scoot down the Brooklyn Promenade. On my way to the Brooklyn Bridge I decided to find the deck that we always see people on just south of the bridge. There, I found a huge telescope "coming out" of the deck. We had heard about this telescope from some friends - they had gone and seen it. When looking in the telescope there was a digital image of people in London who were looking through a telescope similar to the one on the New York City side. Kind of a crazy connection across the Atlantic Ocean... The viewing was pretty casual, but our friends explained how people were using dry erase boards to show messages for the other side. One in particular, a girl wrote "Dance" on the board, and the people in London danced for them! :) The telescope was only visiting for a couple weeks and was removed on Sunday evening. I asked if they planned for put it in a new location to connect two other places in the world. The guy working said there were no plans as of yet, but the telescopes would probably pop up somewhere.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, that is so cool! I had no idea!
Post a Comment