About

Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day

A blizzard spent the night in Brooklyn, dumping snow all over us, canceling Monday work (which I won't argue with!) Ahhh, March. It's a good thing I was given the day off, otherwise, I'd be pretty bitter about winter. I thought I was doing so good, not getting down on the weather this year... I made it through January and February (well mostly) without a problem, and here, the second day of March and at least a half foot of snow later, I am still demanding: I want Spring!

After a phone call to relay the news of no work (where my co-worker assured me she wasn't joking!), I crawled back into bed. After a good lie in, as it's called in my book, I woke up and enjoyed reading, as an attempt to finish my overdue book. I also caught up on blogs, something that has become a favorite activity of mine.

A day off gave me the opportunity to head into the city to have lunch with the Mr. (who wasn't at all too happy to be stuck at work while I was not.)

Went to Chat 'n' Chew, a restaurant we ate at the Very first time I visited NYC. I enjoyed a yummy Swiss, tomato, and onion grilled cheese and wonderful fries! A lot better than the leftovers I usually eat for my daily lunches.

And despite my current detestation of winter and snow, I did get out and get some pictures of the lovely, cold white stuff (that dampens the bottom of my jeans and freezes my toes).

Looking for a few bright colors, despite the gray winter.

And a little more color... but no patio seating today.

After lunch with Seth in Union Square, I headed to Brooklyn Public Library to finally return my book (to find out my late fees are almost to reach $20... oops! Still doesn't beat the $80 I racked up a year ago -- long story, I didn't have to pay it... I got out of it, with good reason, I assure you. Yet, because I had late fees, I wouldn't let myself check out anymore books. I'm on punishment for a moment. Plus I need to finish Jane Eyre.)

With no school, the park was probably more packed than usual snow days. The sounds of sledding, laughter, and children rang through the park as I passed. I'd have ventured onto the lawn, but I'm still lacking the right shoes.

Hope this snow doesn't weigh the trees down too much. I really want them to have all their energy to start turning green again!

I stopped to watch this man and his child as he prepared the child for sledding. It was so adorable watching him situate his child on the old-fashioned-style sled!

Their dog was So beautiful and happy! And big. (I always wonder where people keep dogs of his size in the city.) I almost asked these people if I could take a picture of their dog, but I'm still working on getting my photographing courage built up.

The fire escapes covered in snow.

Park Slope in the snow. I feel like I live in a movie sometimes... This is not a view I'd ever see in Kansas... Streets lined with brownstones and wonderful stoops covered in snow.

Ok. So maybe another day of winter wasn't so bad. Hopefully, by tomorrow, the sidewalks will be cleared completely and the cold won't be so cold. :) Oh, and watch for the bicycle photo set I took today. I'll be posting it soon!

3 comments:

Eva said...

These shots are awesome! I'm so jealous of your snow day! It looks like you took full advantage of your time and I can't wait to see your bicycle shots.

Umā said...

oh, now i see why all my new york friends were so excited about the snow storm. it's really gorgeous in the city, turning everything clean and white. i love the fire escape shot!

A said...

Sadly it only stays gorgeous for a minute, and then turns to packed down snow, ice, and road slush. (I guess the park might still have some beautiful sights... but my daily trek wasn't as nice today!)

Thanks thanks for the compliments!