A week later...Wow. I just don't know what has gotten into me... I cannot seem to find motivation for much of anything! Maybe it's the lack of Having to do anything (Summertime Blues?)... Maybe it's the humidity and heat (but why am I complaining... It's much cooler here than it is in Kansas, and I dealt with Kansas heat all my life...) I don't know what it is, but I really cannot find motivation for much of anything lately.
I finally got out of the apartment today. Took clothes to the thrift shop (of course did some shopping myself), went to find a new coffee-maker. Ours had to be thrown out for reasons I am not going to disclose (but it most likely wouldn't have happened if we were in Kansas... but it's definitely Not out of the ordinary for NYC)... Seth and I had just been talking about how this happened to a microwave that he'd thrown out not long after he moved here to NYC, and then, boom, it happens to our coffee-maker! Of course, we cannot live without coffee! (We can buy it down the street each morning, but it's just cheaper to buy the machine.) So I left the apartment with two bags of things and came home with two bags of different things!
Maybe I need to make some coffee... Is 5 p.m. too late for coffee? I don't want to be up all night...
I just cannot get over how unmotivated I am. I don't even know what I have been doing with myself. I guess I have been doing some things... I just have so many other things I had planned on doing that aren't getting done! I haven't really taken photos in a couple weeks. Took my camera this last weekend on our camping trip but only took 5 photos... (2 of which were of this sign) I painted a little, wrote a little... Found some fun interactive art websites for my little friends. Created a website with lots of links and information for my little friends for the next school year...
I have to be coming out of this slump soon... Right?Interesting happening of the week... My mother called me Monday around lunch time. I figured she was calling on her lunch break to see how I was since I hadn't talked to her in a few days... She was actually calling because she was home alone during an insane storm. Kansas gets storms and tornadoes... But my families' farm had never been hit this bad. Broke out windows in the house and caused water damage to the west part of the house (kitchen and upstairs bedroom)... Knocked the garage down and took a barn... The barn was older, and I knew when Mom said the garage was down, one of the barns had to have been gone too. They got roof damage and trees limbs everywhere... Powers out (crazy line damage). I think I would have been Terrified if I had been there, and even more if I were Alone, especially when those windows broke. It wasn't a tornado though, just wind... Really strong wind (around 90 mph).
They'll be without power for a while. Seems so crazy. A year and a half ago, when I was living back in that area, we lost power for over a week because of an ice storm. Before that, I don't remember losing power like that... and now, within less than 2 years, they'll go days without. Anyway. Wish I were there to help with the cleanup... It would give me something to do.
O and fun news this morning... I won!! And the other day I received this from when I won last month!!
10 comments:
the summer doldrums, the dog days of August...whatever the case, it happens. hope you get your mojo back soon.
I think it is the teacher in you recovering from your year. You need to be in a stupor for a couple weeks, then you will be able to gear up to go again! (It happens to me once in awhile, too!)Don't fret--enjoy giving your brain a rest! Think how re-charged you're going to be!
Everyone needs recharge time, and I think something will suddenly inspire you out of the blue and you'll be off an running again.
I am now very curious about this NYC small appliance syndrome.
my mojo has been a little wacky lately,too !
I think it's because it prefers structure and my summer is structure free for the most part, so right now I'm just kind of running around in circles...
but like you, I know I will stop soon and be back on that straight and narrow path...
WAIT...that sounds icky !
maybe I'll keep with the circles !
the shadows in that second shot are amazing. beauty in b+w! i need to do more b+w photography. i keep forgetting.
what is it about getting a new coffee maker that can give you a whole new lease on life? we are due for a new one soon, and i always love when we do. it seems like the coffee tastes good again and like you just want to keep that baby clean for life. then life happens, and you rarely clean it and it gets all dirty and grungy. :)
so you go get a new lease on life. :)
off to see what you won! winning is the best, no?
i always forget to tell you this...
i think you look a little bit like mandy moore in the photo for this blog banner. has anyone ever told you that?
i actually could not quite place who it is that you looked like to me at first. but then it dawned on me who you kept reminding me of every time i visited here. :)
GLAD UR FAM IS OK! I SAW THE POLAROID OF WHAT I COULD ASUME IS U AND UR MOM BERY CUTE! I SEEM TO HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROB IN KC WITH APPLIANCES AND FURNITURE ALWAYS PICKING IT OUT OF THE TRASH AND BRING IT HOME MY LIVING ROOM IS DEF BOHO GRANDMA! I JUST POSTED SOME INTERESTING TO SAY THE LEAST ART ON MY BLOG FROM A BRITISH MUSEUM IF YA BORED GO CHECK IT OUT
Did you happen to find any nice film/polaroid cameras at the thrift shop?
Something will catch your attention all at once and you'll be back in the game.
I'm sorry to hear about your childhood home and your mother being alone during that storm. I've been home during such a storm minus the broken windows, of course. But, there was damage all around the neighborhood.
It was quite a storm! It got terribly dark--it looked like 10:00 pm even though it was noon! The wind was flopping the trees all over the place. Fortunately no one was injured, but the clean up will take a while.
Post a Comment