Last week I went to the New York Transit Museum for the first time. I am completely interested in the idea of the subway tunnels being built around the bustling city. Unfortunately, because I showed up at 3 p.m. and they close at 4 p.m., I didn't get to spend as much time as I would like reading all about it.
What a miserable job it would have been constructing these tunnels... And in the heat! There were points where the temperatures were above 100. I am so grateful that the subway tunnels weren't calling me for help in their construction! It's amazing, though, that the subways were built under the city.
There were photos of the subway tunnels when they were first opened. They look so beautiful, spotless, clean. It's weird to see them in this way considering the state of them now.
The old maps of the subway system seem so confusing. I definitely appreciate the version we have now... but I guess when I think about it... It can be confusing too!
This last photo was taken in honor of my younger brother. Thought of him. :) Of course, it's there because it's the Court St. stop...I'll definitely be heading back to the Transit Museum, but I might wait until fall because it was rather hot since it's part of an old subway stop and only a small part of the museum had air conditioning.





3 comments:
sounds very interesting - I would love to see the old vintage cars
I would love to see this. I'm glad they captured the subway in the different eras. Ah, how the times have changed.
I wouldn't mind seeing this too. Your photos are great. I'd say it's really cool seeing the different cars that were used once upon a time. Hope all is well.
Post a Comment