About

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Night Shots

Last night, as I mentioned here, we headed to Queens with some friends to visit the Bohemain Hall & Beer Garden in Astoria. It was a large garden (at least for NYC) and great fun. When we arrived, we found a table under a tree, ordered a few pitchers, lots of appetizers, and enjoyed many laughs over our food and drinks. The weather was perfect, warm enough for jeans and short sleeves.

After enjoying our time at the Garden, we decided to move on. Seth and I couldn't stay out too late, as we had our first Food Coop shift this morning (5:45 a.m.) We were heading separate ways... part of the group going to the Village and Seth and I heading home to catch some zzzz's. But we weren't quite ready to part ways, so on our walk towards the subway, a mention of swings and three swing-loving friends found us climbing the fence of a park to go swing in the night. I can't swing, as I get miserable with motion sickness. So instead, I took the opportunity to get a few more night shots.

Here they are swinging... Cannot really see the 4 of them, only ghost images of them.

After swinging for a while, everyone took a turn at climbing, twisting, and swinging from the poles. Finally, we were all sitting on the ground in the swing area, an opportunity for them to freeze and for me to try to capture the moment of rest in the dark.

Seth taking a break against the fence.

Night swings.

Our laughter was long and plenty as we hung out at the swings, almost as if we were kids again... with no where else to go, playing in the night, being youthful and free.

I love nights like last night (despite the way the breeze stirred up allergy-causing things in the air....) and I have a few more pictures to share of sunset. Watch for them later this week!

5 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Always knew you were a kindred soul-- I can't swing either! Dang motion sickness! I'm a great pusher! (And that sounds terrible!)

georgia b. said...

these are really good evening shots! this is something i want to work on and get better at. that is why i really appreciated the recent shutter sisters post about them. great job!

sounds like a wonderful evening, too!

Miss Red said...

you're so great at nighttime photography! i always struggle with it...

meg manion silliker said...

very cool!! i was swinging last night with my 3 year old and husband and i realized how dizzy it made me. i don't remember that as a child - or perhaps i liked it!! anyway, saw you on shutter sisters. have a great day!!

Serendipity said...

You make me want to move to NY!!! But, for now, I'll just have random visits. I'll be there on Sunday YAY. Love the night photos!