About

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Seeking the Calmness

Calm isn't the word I would use to describe my life lately. It's been everything but tranquil. Somehow, despite the lack of still moments in my normal everyday life, I have to find a way to create calmness, to create relaxation. Last weekend's trip to the beach was perfect, but somehow, I need to pull that relaxation into my everyday.

A few things I will do to bring more moments of calmness into my life:
  • Eat better again. I need to get back to eating better... I was doing so well, and then stress knocked on my door (or I guess just barged right in) and out went my healthy appetite.
  • Listen to calming music more often. Or even just listening to my favorite songs (not always calm, but still relaxing since they are my faves).
  • Drink chamomile tea. A friend highly recommended this. And I Love tea. (I don't often drink chamomile... Does anyone know what to add to it, if anything to make it even more enjoyable??)
  • Stop, think, be still.
  • Read a book. Get off the computer. Don't watch TV (I usually don't anyway)... Sit and read. (Speaking of reading books... I picked up The Memory Keeper's Daughter - for free - from a stoop last week and Loved it. I am now reading The Time Traveler's Wife and have been told great things about it by some of my friends... and I put Gone With the Wind on reserve at the library. I'm reading it with Alissa and in July, we are going to watch a showing of the movie in Tarrytown.)
  • Sleep more!
What do you do to keep a calmness in your life, despite the chaos that Always seems to squeeze in and take over? Any secret remedies for anxiety and stress (especially that which settles in the stomach)? Please, do share.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...i don't know about secrets cuz it's def been stressful lately. The past few nights i've been reading in my bed before bedtime and it's been helping a little. I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and i love it!

Mrs. E said...

I'd make that picture my screensaver! Beautiful. I sooo want to be there. Sometimes just 10 minutes of absolute silence helps me cope. (The soft hum of a ceiling fan or fridge are quite relaxing!)

Little Ms Blogger said...

Meditate. It takes a while to get into the practice, but once you get it, it is awesome.

georgia b. said...

i'm sorry to hear that you have had such a crazy life lately. i know moving is enough to make you pull your hair out.

i knew there must be a reason i have not seen you around on my blog lately. i always enjoyed your visits. :)

i'm just glad it's not something i said—like a dumb comment or something. {have you ever wondered if you offended another blogger when they have not been to your blog in a while?} :)

well, i hope everything eases up soon—and not just because i miss you and your comments.

let's see, when i need to relax, i listen to classical music or eat ice cream. i recommend the first—less calories. :)

i have found that working out really helps, too. i know it does not sound calming, but it helps.

lastly, i'm sure you know this one. but it can't hurt to remind you—take lots of pictures! i went today to find peonies to shoot. i could have spent hours taking shots of just one small thing. i get lost in that. it really does calm me. i'm sure it does you, too.

hugs to you. i hope you find that calm you need.

Eva said...

Oh, I have no tips in this area and my life is full of stress now. But, reading does work when I have time for it. I really liked the Time Traveler's Wife. Hope you like it and hope you find more calmness in your life soon!