About

Monday, July 27, 2009

ATV Day

Seth and Ian

I'm SLOWLY getting through the photos from our trip at the beginning of July. The next day I'm sharing is the day the family went ATV-ing. Last year, our adventure was white water rafting. This year, we decided on ATVs. I briefly mentioned it here when I described the little tantrum I threw, but I promised there was a good reason for it... It was a fit of fear. I was doing fine on the four-wheeler on my own, but then switched off so Seth and his sister would also get a chance to ride solo. Riding behind someone is difficult, and by the time it was all done, I had decided that it isn't happening again. It's not easy for anyone, and even P had gotten to the point of not enjoying the doubled up ride. It's hard to predict the bumps and to really move your body with them. My shoulders and arms were sore for days, and my middle back was crushed to pain... that also stayed for days.

Okay, so I guess you can all see that I'm a little bit of a wimp. On top of riding behind Seth, who was doing an okay job of not scaring the be-jeezes out of me, we ended up going up an insane path. Seth turned on the wrong path, following his dare-devil youngest brother, and we ended up a little stuck... unable to move any further up the mountain, part way up this steep incline... With ME on the back, holding on for dear life. I got a little... okay, VERY scared and jumped off. This is when my fit started. I was literally crying, stomping, cursing. And then I pouted and refused to move from my spot part way up the mountain. Seth told me to walk up it, but I had decided I would just Stay right where I was and Wait. Of course, my senses came back and I trudged up the mountain, another round of tears as I climbed... But it all cleared when we got to the top, parked the ATVs, and climbed a path Seth's oldest brother and sister-in-law found. At the top, we had a fantastic view.

Ian got all crazy and climbed over the edge... Then he decided he'd hold onto the rocks and lean backwards over the drop. This photo doesn't do it justice, but I'm to terrified of heights to get any closer.

I'd like to say the rest of the ATV adventure was easy going... but our way back down, Seth's cousin missed the turn and flew over the edge. She was extremely lucky and barely injured herself. (I don't know how she didn't get hurt.) Poor thing was sore for the rest of the trip...

Here I am, post tantrum, calm and letting Seth near me again. :)

7 comments:

poefusion said...

This is a great story. I love riding 4 wheelers. John and I went once, double riding, up a mountain. It was incredible. Going up stirred me a bit but when we went down one of the steepest parts of the mountain we both got scared. We didn't wreck but while John was navigating downward I grabbed a hold of a tree branch and held on for dear life 'til it wouldn't stretch with me any further. Shortly after he tells me to hold on.

The perspective you took that tree picture from is a great point of view. You guys look like you had a good time. Good night~

Char said...

wow - that is some view. I'm not so much scared of being up high but I'm terribly scared to get near the edge and the whole fear of falling. glad you all are ok.

littlebyrd said...

Hey! You may not beleive this but you are the winner of the giveaway! I couldn't believe it since I just won yours :)

GailO said...

Very great photos of what sounds like a very up and down day!

Ida/FarEastLogbook said...

Funny post!! I'm glad you calmed down again ;-)

beth said...

you are so brave...I'm not sure I could have done this trip with all of you...

I'm so glad there was only soreness in the end and no injuries....

but the photos....fabulous !

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, I love your blog!! Thanks for visit and super sweet comment! I can't wait to take a peek around...

I see a lot of pictures from your trip to Colorado, our home! We live in Denver. Love the photos and the colors in them!

Headed to your other blog now...

Happy Day!