About

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Help


Just finished my February book club book... LOVED LOVED LOVED it! I have a major case of the end-of-the-book blues that come when you meet the last page of a good book...

This book is about 3 women in 1960s Mississippi who are dealing with the lines between black and white. It makes me thankful I didn't grow up during that time period... Dealing with segregation and the idea that people are so different because of the color of their skin. Then it makes me wonder what injustices are we accepting/fighting against in our own time period? Are people absolutely ignorant to it? Am I?

The author pointed out the line that is quite special to her... And I agree, it does sum of the book:

Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought.

I also enjoyed the bits of romance that were a part of one of the character's life (makes the chick-lit lover in me happy :). One of my favorite lines in the book is this:

...he claps my hands to hips and kisses my mouth like I am a drink he's been dying for all day and I've heard girls say it's like melting, that feeling. But I think it's like rising, growing even taller and seeing sights over a hedge, colors you've never seen before.

I rank this book high in my favorites, and I Definitely recommend it!! (For anyone who wants to know more about the book, go read the synopsis here.)

2 comments:

♥ Liz ♥ said...

This is on my "to read" list this year and my Mum has just sent me her copy as the library one is always out on loan. Looking forward to starting it.

Anonymous said...

Love that book! I bought it for my mom for Christmas, because I think it's a book everyone should read!

B.R. - your junior English teacher :)