About

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Birthing "Plan"

One of the books I had read recommended writing out a birthing plan to share with your caregivers. I didn't see this as necessary, because I feel fortunate enough to be birthing in a place that fits exactly what we hope for in a birth. Yet, I thought I'd share some of my hopes for our first birth (kind of inspired by a dear friend who mailed us her 2 birthing stories as a resource and support for preparing for our own upcoming birth).


  • We are birthing in a birthing center (as I've mentioned before - it's like a bed and breakfast, and I cannot wait to birth there!) We'll birth at home until we meet the 5-1-1 rule (Contractions 5 minutes apart, last a minute in length for an hour). A midwife may come to our home to check on us or we will just wait to be checked when we arrive at Alma. I plan to have a small glass of wine, maybe take a bath, and try to get some sleep when I realize I am going into labor.
  • We understand that if we need to go to a hospital (which does happen, but rarely, and is MOST often NOT an immediate emergency), we'll go to one that the midwives have a great working relationship with. I also know that if this does happen (as much as I don't want it to), that it is because it needs to. I completely trust the judgement of our midwives and will do as they recommend in order to have a healthy baby and a safe birth. Also, if we end up at a hospital, and for some reason the baby is separated from us, Seth is to go and be with the baby at all times instead of staying with me. 
  • We may have a water birth in one of the big beautiful tubs that each room is equipped with, but I'm also open to knowing that I cannot predict what will actually feel best for me during the labor, so I'm completely open for other options and positions and places to labor and birth.
  • There is no option of epidural or other painkillers so I don't have to worry about telling anyone not to ask me about medication. 
  • At this point, I have chosen not to be on IV antibiotics for GBS. I am taking probiotics, eating lots of food with probiotics, and took a strong herbal remedy that encourages good flora. Of course, they will be monitoring me for a fever or other signs that the GBS might be affecting me during labor, and then they will monitor the baby closely after birth (as they would anyway, whether or not I had GBS).
  • I have food and drinks ready to take along including Recharge (a more natural form of gatorade), coconut water, trail mix and nuts, crackers, and popsicles. 
  • The midwives have offered to take photos. My cameras are charged and ready to go! I do not want any videos taken of the birthing based on not wanting to replay the pain. Since a woman naturally forgets exactly how painful birth is and mostly remembers the bliss of it, I'd like to keep that natural forgetfulness on track rather than replay the pain through a video.
  • The pushing will be mother directed, rather than coached. 
  • Seth has the option to catch the baby, but that will depend on how he's feeling about it then and what his position is at the moment the of the birth.
  • The baby will be placed on my chest immediately after birth, and we cannot wait to watch it as it adapts to the world outside of the womb and begins nursing for the first time. The midwives will monitor the baby from my chest and then will do their first check up 1-2 hours after birth - giving us time to bond as a new family. (which I love!)
  • I have about 2 hours to deliver the placenta before it becomes a concern. It will be done naturally, unless it's getting close to the 2 hour mark, at which point they may give me pitocin to encourage it along so I don't have to go to a hospital. If for some reason, I need to go to a hospital for this part, the midwives said that we are usually back at the birthing center for the rest of the stay after it is taken care of. 
  • I will be having my placenta encapsulated. I'm using someone that has a system with Alma, so I don't really have to do anything. She'll deliver it to our home about 3 days after the birth. 
  • We have the option of staying 2 nights and being taken care of by a postpartum doula. This will depend on how we feel and when we are ready to go home. We'll definitely stay one night. 
  • Although we will do cloth diapers, we are going to start out with disposables, for at least the first couple days/week. We decided that this would just help us as we are already adapting and learning so much. 

2 comments:

2BeautifulBabies said...

I'm so happy for you and the birth you've chosen! I desperately wish that we had some sort of birthing center here, but alas, it's all a part of the small town, no?! =) The closest midwife that is willing to do any type of home birthy is Lawrence. Humph. I made the best of it, and delivered naturally within the confines of the hospital. I like to consider myself a "crunchy" Mommy! ;) Good luck with your cloth diapers too; we LOVED ours!

Jac said...

Great post!!!