About

Sunday, May 17, 2009

5th Avenue Street Fair

Ok. It wasn't as fun as I had hoped and dreamed. Too many people... We should have planned it out a little better. (Seth was miserable just wondering...) We should have gotten food quicker and found a spot to hang out and enjoy the bands for a while at the stage a few blocks down from our place. We did see a hardcore girl band for a few minutes.

Wish we would have stuck around to hear more of the music. Maybe next year...

Block after block were booths selling anything and everything... from plastic fruit magnets to massages to food to rugs to jewelry and more.

Edamame. We snacked on this as we found our food... Seth ended up with a burrito and I got Indian food.

Corn on the cob.

Freshly fried food. Despite how good it looked (I Love fried food), I stayed away today!

I haven't shared my latest photo project... meant to kick off and share the project with my other "project" but that's taking a little longer than I thought it would. But here's Rocky and his owner. They were sitting outside of Playa when Seth and I passed on our way to get ice cream and milk for shakes this evening. Rocky's 11 years old. Isn't he beautiful!! This photo goes in my strangers project. It's the 4th photo I've taken for it since the middle of April. It takes a lot for me to directly ask strangers if I can take their pictures, but I've been easing into by asking people for photographs because they are doing something of interest to me (the slack-rope walkers, the poet, and now this guy with the beautiful bird... the first 3 I haven't shared yet. They are still chilling on my hard drive. Maybe soon!) Anyway, it helps get a conversation started... Helps give me the courage to ask for a picture. It's helping build my confidence in photographing people (& birds).

3 comments:

Eva said...

Great photos! I'm still too shy to ask people for photographs. So, kudos to you!!!

And, the food from the festival looks amazing! They don't have edamame at fairs here. If they did, it would be fried!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a fun street fair! New York sounds like such a fun place with things to do all the time!

As far as strangers go, i still haven't asked one to take their photograph. Maybe one day i'll work up the courage. Props to you!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

You have some great photos there. Well done for asking the bird man if you could take his photo. I'm still at the "Don't forget to take the camera" stage let alone ask a complete stranger.