About

Friday, December 7, 2012

Tears and Breastfeeding

Sofia has been gaining weight like a champ (closing in on 10 pounds) so it seems as if breastfeeding is going great. Yet, off and on for the last few weeks I have had periods of utter pain and discomfort on the right side & starting today, on my left side as well. I have held back from going to a lactation consultant because I didn't think the problems warranted the $100+ it would cost to see one. At our last appointment with the midwives, I explained my continued struggle that periodically arose and how I was joining a breastfeeding support group in hopes of some help. They shared a resource with me saying I probably needed a little more support and with my budget, this would be perfect.

The Birthingway College of Midwifery offers free consultations as a way to train their students. I filled out the form, got an appointment and figured if this didn't seem to help, then I could bite the bullet and get an appointment with the LC that taught our breastfeeding class and runs the support group. I wasn't sure what to expect with it being a place that trains students? But it actually went above my expectations. The center is located in a house (reminded me of Alma) which made it cozy. The student LCs were extremely helpful and friendly, offering to help me with my things and take Sofia while I filled out paperwork. They burped her and didn't mind in the least when she spit up all over them (multiple times)!

During our consultation, we were essentially meeting with a certified Lactation Consultant and the students were doing some of the evaluation and paperwork or learning from the LC. They did a thorough evaluation of her mouth to see if the problem might stem from there since I seemed to be doing what it takes to have a good latch. Turns out, our girl is slightly tongue tied which makes it hard for her tongue to stretch as long as it needs to. She can put it over her gums (which is how she is able to get enough food) but not as easily over her lips (which is what is causing me pain) and when it does go over her lips, it has the heart shaped tip. The other thing they found was that her upper lip needs to be clipped too, as it is too tight and keeps her from being able to position it correctly during nursing. Both of these things, when clipped, should provide comfort and ease of correct latch and nursing.

It was interesting hearing all the things they look at to indicate these issues. The way her upper lip doesn't flange out and is white during nursing. It's so tight for her that the blood doesn't flow. They looked at the way her palette is bubbled and not flattened because her tongue doesn't reach up to make it form flatter. From this, her gag reflex sensibility. Because she's never really had anything touching the top of her palette (even in the womb), anything they touches it almost instantly causes gag reflex (which we have noticed her regularly gag - poor thing). Even looking at her profile, they could indicate a potential problem because the chin was in further than the upper lip.

So our plan of action is to go to an ear, nose & throat doctor to have a second evaluation and potentially have a procedure done to clip under her tongue and upper lip. Our appointment is scheduled for Friday morning. I am nervous about how difficult it will be for Seth and me to watch this happen even though we are told that it doesn't hurt too much. We both hate to see our girl upset. In the afternoon, we'll be taking her to a chiropractor for a session of cranialsacral therapy. Before she was born, we'd never even heard of cranialsacral. I would say that I am still a bit unsure what exactly happens. The LC said it would help Sofia adjust to the change in her body. I've met a number of people who have had OT done to their little ones and assure me it helps. I am willing to try if it means Sofia will gain from it. I'll report back after our session and let you know!

The hope is that this procedure will bring the mama some much needed comfort in breastfeeding and prevent any future speech issues for Sofia.

No comments: