About

Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Mommy Must-Have

We were out and about like pros Thursday! Our first meetup was with Alma's new mamas. I had hoped to see some of the mamas I had met during pregnancy and was happy to catch up with a few and meet their little ones. We also met some new mamas too. It felt like we were all old friends even though some I had just met today. In becoming a mama, I've been "warned" about feeling lonely, even with a baby. I haven't necessarily experienced that since this is the first week I've actually been alone with the baby. But to avoid this loneliness, I've been encouraged to find ways to socialize, especially with other mamas. I can tell this meetup will be a part of my weekly routine for quite a while. I am looking forward to this weekly meetup and can't wait to watch our little ones grow together (& hopefully some friendships as well!) I am so appreciative that Alma hosts this group each week! One more reason why I love love love Alma! :)

After the first group, I ran home, ate lunch and changed the baby's diaper, then it was off to the next get together. This was a smaller group of women. It was the first time I've met with this group where all of us attending were no longer pregnant. Kind of fun making the transition and not sitting and dreaming of our little ones but actually sharing about them (& having mine snuggled up on me). I did find myself getting flustered when Sofia was upset though. I think because of my lack of confidence... Like I am afraid that I am not doing the "best" right thing to calm and sooth her... Of course it's the same thing I confidently do at home that works for her... Oh to be a new mama! (I know my confidence will come in someday & probably soon since I will continue to get out with Sofia. It will begin to feel normal and not so foreign.)

I like having both groups. One group is filled with women who all had similar birth stories. We all share similar desires by choosing Alma. In the other group I am the only one (so far) that has gone with a free standing birthing center (& drug free). It is nice to have the variety of experiences at a variety of hospitals and to hear stories that are different from my own.

On one last note, all of this traveling around was made so much easier by this handy little mirror in the photo below! It is a definite mommy must-have for the car!

1 comment:

Nacho Lover said...

Community is such an important thing with little babies, isn't it? I'm loving our little group, and I hope to start going to another baby group soon too. You've got me all psyched up to go out with my boys soon! :)
I just recently got mirrors too--such a relief to be able to see them back there!