About

Friday, August 10, 2012

Caught Me Off Guard


I know there will be moments, maybe for the rest of my life, where something will remind of New York City and bring a rush of tears forward in my eyes, that will put my stomach in knots for the yearning of the life I used to live and loved while it lasted, for the nostalgia of all our memories. Moments that will stop me in my tracks.

As I was just driving to the grocery store just now, NPR was on and they were playing an interview of a writer who had passed away. He was talking about a poem he recites when he'd have MRIs to distract himself from the tight space. It was called Letter to NY by Elizabeth Bishop. Here's what brought the tears forward and formed the knots in my belly: 



Of course, I had to flip back through photos and find one of my love with the city I'll always love in the background. That was taken on Liberty Island last fall when my mom and stepfather were visiting. It was our last time on Liberty Island as New Yorkers. (We'll go back again someday, but it won't be the same. It will no longer be ours like it was that day.)

No comments: