About

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

9 and half weeks left as New Yorkers...


A few things:
  • The 1st Trimester blahs might ACTUALLY, FOR REAL be fading into a thing of the past! I didn't feel nauseous the last two days (well except for 2 quick moments when some very, very, very disgusting smells graced my presence!) I might be speaking too soon, but even at that - 2 days of not feeling so foul is enough to celebrate!!! 
  • I had my first dream about the baby. In my dream, I was stuck birthing with the midwives here in Brooklyn, but it got even worse. Their place was taken over by a doctor who was all about the interventions and told me all my ideas and expectations for the birthing experience and pregnancy were WRONG! My brain magically (maybe it could do this in real life) skipped the pain of birth and ta-da a baby was taken from me to a table to be examined and what not... As I got up to go see my new baby it turned out to be a baby boy the size of a 2 year old toddler. He didn't look anything like Seth or me, and I was certain the name we have picked out for a boy just didn't fit. I remember thinking to myself that I wish Seth were here so we could figure out what to name him! Skip ahead a little - the baby boy morphed into a bit more of a baby but he was So. Heavy. In my dream I kept dropping him on his head! Oy! When I told Seth about hte dream, he was happy to hear I was dreaming about a BOY though! 
  • Today marks 15 weeks! I should start feeling the baby sometime in the next 5 weeks! Cannot wait! :) I wonder, at what point can others (Seth) feel the baby moving too? 
  • Seth and I are moving out of New York in 9 and a half weeks. Seems a little crazy - especially because only 3 of the remaining weekends are free (the next 2 and one in June)... We have a lot of things to square away (get rid of) between now and then! 
  • I cried on the subway this morning - many times. I haven't listened to music in a while (momentarily lost my headphones with all the coat switching this crazy weather has caused), but every song I listened to moved me to tears. (Jac - I now understand what you meant last spring when you told me about this happening to you!) Luckily people don't pay much attention on the subway... I still kept my head down most of the ride. :) 
  • Ooo and happy news - I think I have a spot in the most wonderful midwifery and birthing center for our birth! I'll share more about the specifics of it closer to the birth but a few things I love - during a phone conversation with a midwife yesterday I was asked more questions than I have been in my current care and given very specific advice and suggestions with explanations. They offer expecting mom groups - which will be awesome for when we move since I only know one other mom there (Jac). AND this group turns into a new mom group that meets once a week AFTER the birth - a built in support group! They'll start my care from a distance - after I have my monthly appointment with my current midwives, I'll fax my papers to my new Portland midwife, and we'll have an appointment over the phone. This makes me feel so much better - I feel like starting something new when I'm six months along would be a little stressful for me. At least when I show up now, my midwife will already have a chart, and be familiar with my pregnancy. PLUS everyone I have spoken with from there is SOOO amazing and nice and helpful. It seems like the kind of place you'd want to just hangout at! (Portland overall seemed to have nicer people when we visited last August. I am looking forward to losing the hard New Yorker bit and being surrounded by nicer people.) 

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

This is just a great post. So happy things are turning, though I hope you don't drop your baby on its head! : ) I know I'm going to miss you when I'm in NYC, but I am going to email my trip plans and ask questions on a few things that have come up. Isn't it nice that you are my NYC expert?!

Jac said...

Loving the preggers updates! That dream - tee hee! (Mine typically involved realizing I hadn't fed the baby in DAYS and freaking out). Sorry about the music madness - electronica was the only thing that worked for me :)

9 weeks left. Holy. Cow.