Last Wednesday night was my first book club night with a new book club I've joined (it's made up of some of my co-workers and friends of co-workers). We read the book above, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. I quite enjoyed it, as I was hoping I would. I've joined a book club before and didn't LOVE it... The books they chose blew and after forcing myself to read them, I'd get all the way through book club without one person even talking about the book (a bit annoying). This one was different though. We actually talked about the book! The rule is to discuss the book for at least 20 minutes.
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to readers who enjoy chick lit or are interested in the 1940s time period and the Japanese Internment Camps. It's about a Chinese-American boy, Henry and a Japanese-American girl, Keiko. Henry's family is anti-Japanese, so when these two become friends, it causes problems for Henry at home. Keiko, being Japanese-American during this time period, is uprooted from her home and sent to a camp for the years during the war. (Not sure if that was a great quick background of the book... Follow the link above for some possible better write-ups ;)
Next book club book: The Help by Katheryn Stockett (already started it, already enjoying it!)

1 comment:
I read this book a few months ago and found it very interesting. Our book club has picked a variety of topics and I have to say I have enjoyed most all of them.
Post a Comment